Tuesday, June 30, 2015
  Veteran's Benefits and Services

The University of Iowa is approved as a training facility for veterans. The Office of Veterans Services is located in two places depending on need. The two offices together coordinate the University's services to the approximately 550 veterans attending classes and receiving veterans benefits.

Veteran Students at The University of Iowa who intend to receive VA Education benefits should contact the Office of GI Bill Services in 201C Communications Center  ( 319-335-3895 or 319-335-0226  fax 319-335-3761). 
You may email us at    registrar-vets-office@uiowa.edu.

Veterans may obtain the following services from this office:

  • Certification of enrollment for educational benefits
  • Tutorial assistance
  • Referrals for counseling for financial, vocational, and academic problems
  • Disability and Compensation claim filing
  • Veterans work study job information
  • Information about changes in legislative regulations which affect veterans
  • Information about University procedures and community services.

The Office of Veterans Services also acts as a direct liaison between The University of Iowa and the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office in St. Louis regarding underpayment, overpayment or nonpayment of benefits. The University of Iowa has no separate financial aid available for veterans at this time.

Veterans expecting to enroll under the educational benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs may obtain application forms from the Office of Veterans Services if they have not previously established their eligibility with the Department of Veterans' Affairs. Transfer students, and returning students need to complete a Veterans Worksheet to confirm their intentions to re-enroll.

Certified copies of your separation papers, form DD-214, should be submitted with an initial application for benefits. Submission of a DD214 is not necessary for students who have used the benefit before. All forms should be sent to the Office of Veterans Services.

The first GI BILL benefit check will traditionally be received approximately six weeks after the first day of class.
Veterans benefit allowances, Department of Veterans Affairs programs and policies, and University of Iowa services and procedures frequently change. To obtain current information about VA benefits, your eligibility for benefits, rate and method of payment, or the address of the nearest regional office, call 1-888-442-4551.

Related programs and services available to veterans at The University of Iowa include:

  • Army and Air Force ROTC programs
  • Reserve and National Guard Units from all branches of the military
  • A major VA hospital on the University's west campus.

Resident Rate Tuition

The University of Iowa Provides In-State Tuition for Active Duty Military, US Veterans and Family
Starting with the Spring 2015 term with Home Base Iowa Initiative, and starting before the Veterans
Access, Choice & Accountability Act of 2014.This law requires Public Universities to provide In-State
tuition for US Veterans and family members and Active Duty Military.
To receive resident tuition the following documentation will work:
Active Duty Military, a copy of orders
Veterans can use a DD form 214
Spouse or Dependent of military member/veteran. A copy of the DD 214 and a birth
certificate/adoption paperwork or tax return with a student showing as a dependent. A marriage
certificate or Domestic Partner certificate.

Any questions or submit this documentation to:
University of Iowa
Registrar’s Office
GI Bill Services
Room 201D Communications Center
116 South Madison Street
Iowa City, IA 52242
319 335 3895
Fax 319 335 3761


  G.I. Bill Programs


Eligibility for GI Bill educational benefits can be extended to veterans, members of the Selected Reserves or National Guard; and children or spouses of service-connected deceased or totally and permanently disabled veterans under one of the following programs. Specific questions on eligibility should be directed to the Veterans Administration Regional Office, P.O. Box 66830, St. Louis MO 63166-6830.

Montgomery GI Bill-Chapter 30


Individuals who entered active duty after July, 1984, and participated in the pay reduction program (pay reduced $100 a month for 12 months) and served honorably for two years or more are eligible. Veterans or service persons cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.

Veterans Administration Vocational Rehabilitation Program-Chapter 31


This program is available to certain veterans who have a service-connected disability of 10 percent or greater. It provides a monthly stipend and also covers the cost of tuition, books, and supplies. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)-Chapter 32


Individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985, served a continuous period of 181 days or more and contributed financially toward the education program are eligible. Monthly benefits are determined by adding the amount of personal contributions and DOD contributions made during the years of active service.

Post-9/11 GI Bill-Chapter 33 


The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This bill will become effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.

Vietnam Era GI Bill-Chapter 34

Individuals who entered active duty service prior to December 31, 1976, and served a minimum of 181 days of active duty after January 31, 1955. Benefits must be used before January 1, 1990.

GI Bill for Dependents-Chapter 35


A child or spouse of a service-connected deceased or 100 percent disabled veteran may be eligible for VA educational benefits. Benefits may be used until the dependent has reached the age of 27 or 8 years from the date of eligibility is determined, whichever is later.

Montgomery GI Bill for Reservists-Chapter 1606


An individual who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended an enlistment in the Selected Reserve or National Guard for a period of 6 years after July 1, 1985, and has completed the initial active duty training is eligible for VA benefits. This program does not require a contribution by the service person.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program-Chapter 1607


REAP was established effective for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.