Monday, May 25, 2015
  Undergraduate Degree Candidate

Undergraduate Degree Candidate Information for May 2015 / Summer 2015 / December 2015

Remember, the University does not confer a degree without receiving your complete Application for Degree. Application deadlines are listed below.

Fee Notice:

There is a $75 processing fee billed to your University account at the time your application is received. The degree application fee will be assessed each time you apply to graduate. In addition, if you apply after the deadline a late application fee of an additional $20 will also be assessed.

Frequently Asked Questions:

I am planning to graduate next semester. What should I do?

It is your responsibility to file an Application for Degree. Ideally, you should submit the application one session prior to the semester in which you expect to graduate!  Degree applications can be submitted via ISIS. Your name will appear on your diploma as it does on your University records (ISIS). If your name is not correct on ISIS, please complete this Name Change Form (*legal documentation is required for all name changes) along with the required documentation as stated on the form, and return to The Registrar Service Center, 17 Calvin Hall.

The established application for degree deadlines are:

  • May 2015 - February 27, 2015
  • Summer 2015 - June 12, 2015
  • December 2015 - October 9, 2015

What happens next? 

First, you will receive an email confirming your application for degree has been received. This includes a link to important deadlines for degree candidates. Degree applications are accepted for the current session and the next future session. If you apply for a future session, you will receive a confirmation immediately, but no further information until after the session begins. If you do not receive a confirmation email, call Graduation Analysis at 335-0228 to be sure that you are an official degree candidate.

If you applied for the current session and are a student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Business, or Nursing, you will be notified when a final review or your graduation status has been completed. Expect this to take 2-3 weeks from the time your application is submitted, if you are applying for the current semester.  For those submitting an application for degree for the next semester, your audit will be reviewed 2-3 weeks into that semester. For example, if you submit an application for degree for Spring, your audit will not be reviewed until February.

What other deadlines are there?

  • May 2015 Graduation:  Grades, Transcipts and Waivers - May 20, 2015
  • Summer 2015 Graduation: Grades, Transcripts and Waivers - August 12, 2015
  • December 2015 Graduation: Grades, Transcripts and Waivers - December 23, 2015
If you will miss a deadline, contact Graduation Analysis as soon as possible at 30 Calvin Hall or phone 319-335-0228. If information is received after the deadline, you may have to apply for graduation in the subsequent semester.

Must I order my transcripts from other schools?

An official transcript of all work from other universities that is not yet on your UI record must be in the Registrar's Office by the deadline. Official transcripts usually include the registrar's signature and an embossed seal, and are sent from one institution to another. A certificate of enrollment or a letter from the instructor is NOT ACCEPTABLE as a substitute. Inquire at the Registrar's Office of the institutions from which you will transfer credit to assure that your transcript will be sent in time to reach Undergraduate Admissions at the University of Iowa before the deadline. Call Graduation Analysis at 319-335-0228 if you know there will be a delay; depending on the circumstances, an extension might be possible.

What if I graduate but still owe money to the University?

Your University account must be cleared in order to receive your credentialing document.  If your current registration is restricted for financial delinquency or if you have prior indebtedness to the University, your account must be cleared by the date on which final semester grades are due.

When is my graduation ceremony? How do I get a cap and gown?

Information containing specific details about commencement ceremonies, caps and gowns, and receiving your diploma will be e-mailed to you about a month prior to commencement. Participation is optional. Information concerning commencement ceremonies can also be found here. You will receive information about commencement announcements (for mailing to your family and friends), class rings and other commemorative items from outside vendors and the Alumni Association approximately two months before the ceremony.

If my name is read at commencement, I've really graduated - right?

All candidates for degree are invited to participate in the commencement ceremony.  While we hope all applicants for degree will receive a diploma, participating in the commencement ceremony does not mean you have officially graduated.  Commencement ceremonies generally occur several days before final grades have been submitted.  Therefore it is not possible to confirm that you have completed all of your degree requirements at the time of the ceremony. 

So, when is my graduation official?

You become an alumnus about two weeks after commencement when all grades have been recorded and the degree notation is placed on your academic record. However, the official date of conferral is always the final Friday of the session.

How will I receive my diploma?

Degree applicants who complete all of their degree requirements, with no past due charges on their University bill, will have a diploma mailed to them at their DIPLOMA MAILING ADDRESS (on their degree application in ISIS), approximately 8 weeks after graduation. All diplomas are mailed using USPS First Class mail.

When you submitted the application for your degree on ISIS, you provided a Diploma Mailing Address. This is where your diploma will be mailed. Students applying for Spring 2015 will have until May 8, 2015 to update their DIPLOMA MAILING ADDRESS in ISIS. After this deadline, students should contact Graduation Analysis (319-335-0228) to change their diploma mailing address. This is the address used specifically for diploma mailing, only.

If you did not receive your diploma because you did not update your DIPLOMA MAILING ADDRESS, and your diploma is delivered to an incorrect address, lost, or returned to sender, your Ubill will be assessed a $10 reprocessing/re-mailing fee to send your diploma to you a second time. Be prepared to send a notarized statement confirming your identity, before your diploma can be reissued.

If you submit a forwarding address change to the Post Office, but you do not update your DIPLOMA MAILING ADDRESS, your diploma will not reach you. The Post Office does not forward UI diplomas.  This does not include any additional fees to expedite your diploma.

What if my residing address changes?

To assure continuing services from the University, you should inform the Registrar's Office each time you move. All departments of the University use the address lists maintained by the Registrar's Office. Whenever your residing address changes, update it on ISIS or notify the Registrar Service Center, 17 Calvin Hall or call 319-384-4300.

Updating your residing address does not change your diploma mailing address.  These are separate addresses that require individual updating in ISIS or by the appropriate service area.  Your residing address may be different from the diploma mailing address, since diplomas are mailed 8 weeks after graduation.

What if I don't graduate as expected?

If you do not complete all degree requirements as planned, you must submit another application before the deadline date of the future session in which you intend to graduate.

NOTE: If you complete degree requirements after a session's stated deadlines and must officially graduate later, an official letter embossed with The University of Iowa seal can be prepared for you once all your requirements are met. It serves the purpose of verifying the completion of degree requirements until the official degree notation is entered (about two weeks after the next commencement). Call Graduation Analysis (319-335-0228) for information about this service.