Attendance reporting is required of all courses if:
• Your course runs the entirety of the academic session or
• Your course is off-cycle but begins on or prior to the closing date determined for the Attendance Report deadline
Attendance refers to a student attending class or participating in an academic activity (as defined by the U.S. Department of Education). See below for academic activity definitions.
Academic activity defined by the U.S. Department of Education and includes:
• Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students
• Submitting an academic assignment
• Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial or computer assisted instruction
• Attending a study group that is assigned by the institution
• Participating in an online discussion about academic matters
• Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course
Academic activity does NOT include:
• Logging into an online class without active participation
• Academic counseling or advising
Course lists are available through MAUI. Instructors should log in with their HawkID and password. Next, click on the “My Courses” link to display the courses they are assigned to teach. Click on “edit” under the Attend List heading to open the application to complete the attendance report. Instructors must review each of their course lists and submit their attendance report by midnight on the appropriate Attendance Report deadline.
If the instructor indicates a student is not attending, and if the student is still registered for the section by the Enrollment Audit deadline, a NOT ATTENDING notice will be sent to the student. For courses that are not off-cycle, if the instructor “adds” a student to a section, and if that student is registered for another section of the course, a section change will be made and no notice will be sent. If the student is not registered for the course, an ATTENDING, NOT REGISTERED notice will be sent to the student.
It is University policy that students may not attend a class for which they are not officially registered. Please direct students who are attending your class but whose names do not appear on the course list to the Registrar’s Service Center, 17 Calvin Hall, for information about requesting permission to add a course or to register after the deadline.
The University requires 100% completion of this attendance report by faculty and instructors in order to comply with federal financial aid regulations.